We are beyond thrilled to have Nick Verreos as our latest guest blogger. We reached out to him with your prom fashion questions. Check it out!
Q: What are the biggest prom fashion faux pas?
A: "Prom" and "fashion faux pas" often go hand in hand, which can be kind of fun as long as it's not YOU! So here, I'd like to highlight a few of those faux pas, and help you try to avoid them.
Now, let's begin with my own history of "prom fashion faux pas" and I have several! However, the one "What Was I Thinking?" Nick Fashion Faux Pas that stands out most involves me dressing like a cross between a member of Duran Duran and George Michael's "Wham!" sidekick, Andrew Ridgeley. (Google him, and then you'll know what I mean!)
Picture me in a white cropped jacket, matching "MC Hammer" Pants, a sash, and (wait for it!) medals!!! Somewhere deep in my closet is this photo, but even if I found it I would NEVER show it!! With that off of my "Nick Prom Chest," here is some Prom Fashion Faux Pas Advice for 2011.
1) No white pumps! First of all, they'll get dirty. Second of all, they're cheap and tacky looking.
2) Choose a style muse that isn't Rihanna or Lady Gaga. PLEASE. If you are going to the MTV Music Awards, yes. But for the prom, NO. Trust me, in ten years when you look at that photo of you with a crazy outfit, crazier heels, and glittery hair extensions, you will go, "What was I thinking???"
3) Instead, think more classic, like Grace Kelly, Angelina Jolie, or Kristen Stewart. Even "dark and moody" Kristen looks feminine and pretty at red carpet events. Take a cue from these famous women.
4) On the same note, try not to dress too trendy. Again, that prom photo will "date" itself so fast that in six months you'll be looking at the picture saying, "Oh, dear. That dress was soooo last year!"
5) Don't do anything drastic with your hair or make-up and don't use this time to experiment. Prom isn't the time for blue hair and bubblegum pink eyeshadow. Trust me. Unless blue hair is a signature look you rock, don't try it for the first time on your big night!
6) Make sure your dress or gown FITS!!! Get it tailored or altered to fit correctly—by a professional seamstress, a local tailor, or your mommy! You don't want to be "sausaged" into a too-tight prom dress or always worried that you'll have a wardrobe malfunction from a loose strapless dress.
7) Avoid feathered boas. Please. Total fashion faux pas.
8) No cut-outs or exposing of the midriff. Please—part two.
9) No piercings and (Oh, dear!) please hide any visible tattoos!! And if you are wearing a strapless dress—no tan lines!!! That's a BIG fashion faux pas!
1) Don't dress like I did back at my prom (see above).
2) Dirty old shoes are a BIG prom fashion faux pas for guys. Wear new or clean shoes.
3) A tie never hurts.
4) Sloppy = fashion faux pas. Tuck in your dress shirt, press your pants, and try to look "put together."
5) If you have to rent a tuxedo, make sure it FITS correctly. If you think you are a 40" chest in a jacket size, try the 38". You might be surprised. An ill-fitting tuxedo or suit is a major prom fashion faux pas!
6) And finally, for your style icon, think Justin Timberlake and NOT Lil' Wayne.
Hope the above helps you gals and guys in terms of potential prom fashion faux pas—and what could put you on the prom fashion school A-list!!!